Natural Building Techniques
Design and Technology
GET HANDS ON
On this day pupils will get hands on experience of sustainability in building design.
They will have a tour of the grounds to look at the buildings we have on site including our cobb oven, outdoor woodland classroom, campsite yurts, and eco-renovated lodge with ground and air source heat pumps.
Pupils will explore what resources can be reused or recycled, the quality of materials used and gain an understanding of the appropriate use of resources- sustainable and not sustainable. They will also gain a better understanding of embodied energy in building design, sustainability and the global issues of buildings and people. They will learn about how architects are using natural materials for buildings.
Pupils will also have an excellent opportunity to learn how to make an earth bag arch, a mini rammed earth wall, and a cobb oven! All of these natural small scale techniques can be used in large scale buildings. These hands on activities are also excellent for team building.
The pupils will gain inspiration in design from the science of Biomimicry, learning from nature. Examples of new technology ideas will be shared where the science of biology and design combine.
- Science: Sustainability in building design; energy resources.
- Design and Technology: Judge the quality of products; resources have been used appropriately; global environmental impact of products and assessment for sustainability; justify instances where it may be appropriate to use materials or practices that are not sustainable.
- Art & Design: Work independently and collaboratively, taking different roles in teams, explore areas that are new to them, including ideas, techniques and processes. Engage with contemporary art, craft and design, working with creative individuals and in creative environments where possible. Make links between art and design and other subjects and areas of the curriculum.
- Geography: Sustainable development, resources.
- Citizenship: Debating a global issue, the interaction of people and the environment.
BACK AT SCHOOL
PRE VISIT IDEAS
- Check out our website with your class. Look at the Projects section to learn more about the buildings we have on site.
- Click our FACEBOOK page.
- Research more into Rammed Earth Building, Cobb Building, Earth Bag Building, Timber Framed buildings, Embodied Energy, Green Architecture.
- To find out more about Biomimicry Design visit BIOMIMICRY.
POST VISIT IDEAS
- Students can continue working on their eco-house plans back at school and make them into 3 dimensional models.
- Students can help to design and build an Earth Oven in the school grounds.
- Students can research further in to eco–build designs such as BRIGHTON'S EARTHSHIP.
- Find out more about green building and making buildings more energy efficient using this great resource at 52 CLIMATE ACTIONS.