ABOUT THE COURSE
A one day course teaching you everything you need to know to make your own high quality garden compost. Horticulture teacher, Jane Gleeson, will guide you through how to get a successful compost heap going and get the mix of materials right, how to look after it and use the finished compost in your garden. During practical sessions, you will explore a variety of compost systems at our centre, including wormeries, hot composters and cold composters.
The course will cover:
The course will cover:
- How composting works including what compost is and the food web of soil life
- Why compost is good for your soil and your plants
- How to use compost in your garden including mulching
- Soil care as part of your garden ecosystem
- Different kinds of composting including hot and cold systems, wormeries and leaf mould and food waste composting
- How important composting is for our health and the planet
THE COURSE WILL GIVE YOU
- A ecological perspective on composting
- Knowledge of how make and manage your compost at home and confidence to have a go
- Understanding of how to care for soil using compost
- An understanding of the principles of no-dig gardening
THE COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR
People who have some experience of gardening, who wish to be successful at producing compost at home or on a small scale.
WHAT TO BRING
- Gardening gloves if you have them
- Notebook and pen
- Clothing - regular shoes for the classroom plus sturdy footwear, warm layers, waterproofs and sun protection for the outside practical sessions
- Water bottle
- A packed lunch, or lunch can be purchased from the Beech Cafe
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Jane Gleeson is an experienced ornamental gardener, food grower and horticulture teacher. Jane has worked in horticulture for over 20 years and trained at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and the English Gardening School. For many years Jane was the Horticulture Programme Lead and Head Gardener at Schumacher College in Devon. She has also taught at Hadlow College in Kent teaching RHS and City and Guilds courses. She is currently teaching and working as a Horticultural Therapist at Tuppenny Barn in Hampshire and working as a grower at an organic vegetable small holding and box scheme in West Sussex.
You can get 10% discount when you stay with us during your course for 2 nights or more in our campsite or eco lodge. Please call us on 01730 823166 to make your accommodation booking. Our reception is open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.