Living Willow Tree Course
10:00 - 13:00
Tutor: Louise Arthur
ABOUT THE COURSE
Join us in learning how to weave your very own living willow Harlequin tree from willow grown at our site on this course in the Hampshire South Downs. Living willow rods plaited into what is known as a Harlequin tree make a wonderful addition to your garden. You will to take away your tree with the knowledge of how to nurture and care for it through the seasons to come. All materials and tools will be supplied to craft at least one tree. Louise from Rough Around the Hedges will guide you through the workshop.
THE COURSE WILL GIVE YOU
- Skills in willow weaving techniques
- Knowledge on how to select suitable materials
- Understanding of how to grade, dry, store and soak willow
- Knowledge about the ecological credentials of willow
THIS COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR
This half day course is suitable for anyone with manual dexterity and patience.
WHAT TO BRING/WEAR
- This course will take place a mix of indoors and outdoors.
- Sharp secateurs
- Outdoor clothing appropriate for the weather.
- Packed lunch or lunch is available from The Beech Cafe on site
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Louise Arthur specialises in willow weaving and environmental education. She is highly skilled at making baskets from sustainable local willow and foraged hedgerow materials. These natural, biodegradable, little gems reflect the biodiversity of our countryside hedges and range in colour, texture and form. Louise is an exceptional teacher who has years of experience running outdoor education sessions with the Forestry Commission and at The Sustainability Centre. As an experienced workshop leader, she is passionate about sharing her love of willow crafts with adults and children.