MEDICINAL HERB WORKSHOP
ABOUT THE COURSE
Learn how to start your own medicine chest from foraged finds with our ever-popular course run by our much-admired local herbalist, Sarah Hillyer. This course is hands-on and practical, and will teach you how to make your own simple tincture to take home with you. After an informative, guided walk around the grounds of the beautiful Sustainability Centre in the heart of the South Downs National Park, you will retire to our classroom space where you will learn how to dry your finds effectively and make a simple herbal medicine of your own.
Harvest Time Special
Using herbs to support your systems and immunity. This workshop will explore the herbs still growing in late summer that you can harvest to dry for winter teas and tinctures. You will be given recipes and hands on practice in making both.
THE COURSE WILL GIVE YOU
- Ability to identify and dry a range of medicinal herbs, flowers, leaves and berries.
- Have knowledge of the various properties of medicinal herbs.
- Experience making a simple tincture to start your own medicine chest.
- You will take home recipe sheets and herb monographs.
- Your very own herbal tincture from the herbs you have gathered.
THE COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR
Beginners and anyone wishing to improve their knowledge of herbal medicine.
WHAT TO BRING
- Outdoor clothing & sturdy footwear
- Notebook and pen
- A camera
- An empty airtight jam jar of around 200-250ml in size
- Sharp scissors or pairing knife if you have one (for cutting leaves)
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Sarah Hillyer is a herbalist working in Sussex and Hampshire. Sarah has a degree in Phytotherapy (herbal medicine) and a Diploma in Nutrition, which has given her a comprehensive knowledge of modern medical theory and medicinal plants. Sarah has over 30 years of teaching experience, with particular skills working with people with special needs. Sarah has published a series of ‘'Herb Detective’ books, which are available to purchase on her courses or via her website: southdownsherbalist.co.uk