Food, Farming and Permaculture
This packed day will give a good overview of where food comes from. Pupils will spend half of their day with Farmer George on his large tractor trailer on our neighbouring farm and learn about what food is produced on the chalk down-lands, and how farming effects the environment.
Back at the Centre, pupils will learn about food miles and think about how food gets from farm to plate. They will gain an understanding of the global impact of food on the environment, FairTrade and what ‘sustainability’ means in terms of the food we eat. Pupils will also go on a tour to see food growing, Permaculture Design & planning and potentials for recycling and reusing materials.
Pupils will gain an understanding of why food is important and how growing your own can be fun and help contribute to a more sustainable world.
With activities including: Farm tour, planned to the seasons, identifying plants and vegetables, ending the day with group work of planning a garden back at school with an action plan designed for success using basic Permaculture design tools.
For more more detail of the farm tour please click here:
Back at school:
Pre and post visit suggestions:
- Check out our website with your class.
- Join our Facebook page.
- For more information on Permaculture Design visit www.permaculture.co.uk and www.permaculture.org.uk
- Permaculture Magazine is available to buy from us – please ask.
- Make copies for the whole class of the School site plan of outside area. Split class into small groups and give them each an area to work on. Bring these plans to the Centre for the garden planning session.
- Students could find out where the food for school comes from, work out the food miles of a typical lunch, find out much food is wasted, and look into alternatives such as suggesting a meat free Friday or a local food Wednesday. The students can write up a suggested action plan for the school.
- Students can help to design and build a school garden. If you would like help with this from one of our staff, we can come to your school- ask for more details.
- Students can re-design their school canteen and suggest menus.
- Visit https://www.52climateactions.com/