Treehouses, Ropes and Ladders
with Jon Cree
Sat 9th and/or Sun 10th March 2019
Saturday only: £95
Both days: £175
Tutor: Jon Cree
ABOUT THE COURSE
Learn how to make outdoor play structures for children from wood and rope, combined with natural features at your site. This course is for outdoor educators wishing to be a little more adventurous with creative play structures at their sites. The training will cover techniques and know-how on building safe but slightly risky (!) structures with children that can enhance creativity and physical play at your site.
You will learn techniques for:
Day 1 will cover basic tool work, knot and rope work in order to construct ladders, ‘climbing frames’, temporary rope swings and rope courses. We will look at how to work with young people in constructing basic structures that includes working with trees or if the trees in your own settings are limited how to construct features by adding structures such as ‘beams’ to trees and working with A frames and ‘safe anchoring’. This day will also start looking at the basics of constructing a tree house.
This day will give time to practise the knots and skills picked up on Day 1 including constructing free standing play structures, playing with ropes and trees, making more elaborate rope courses and going through the whole process of constructing a tree house. We will also cover putting up and playing with slack-lines.
THE COURSE WILL GIVE PARTICIPANTS
- Skills and confidence to build safe natural play structures from wood, ropes and natural features
- Knot tying skills and techniques for building ladders and setting up rope courses
- Knowledge on how to minimise impact of natural play structures on your site
- Understanding of Health and Safety guidelines for safe construction and use of natural structures
WHO IS THIS COURSE SUITABLE FOR?
Forest School leaders, bushcraft instructors, outdoor educators and enthusiastic parents with experience of tool use (i.e. sawing) and knot tying. To attend day 2, participants need to have either attended day 1 or previously attended a play structures course. If you wish to just book onto Day 2, please contact our team: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT TO BRING
- Suitable clothing for spending the day outside, including full waterproofs and warm layers
- Sturdy footwear
- Packed lunch or lunch can be bought from the Beech Café on site
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Jon Cree is an experienced Forest School leader and trainer.